The Castle of the Counts of
The oldest documents about it
date all the way back to the 9th century. In 1273 it became the
birthplace of the Countess of Champagne Jeanne de Navarre, the future Queen of
France, and it has had a fairly eventful history: struggles between Counts of
Champagne and Dukes of Burgundy, between the people of Armagnac and
Burgundians, between Ligueurs
(supporters of the Catholic League) and Protestants, between Louis XI and
Charles le Téméraire.
It underwent many sieges and,
in 1596, Henri IV allowed the inhabitants to complete its demolition against
the payment of 1500 crowns.
All that remains is the Tour
du Lion (Lion's Tower) and the vaulted Salle des Gardes (Guard Room),
which used to have the keep on top of it.
The Castle in the 17th
The Clock Tower (the symbol of
the town), was blown up in August 1944 but reconstruction work on it began in
From the castle's
promontory you have a wonderful view out over the town.