The Order of the Templars was
founded in Jerusalem in 1119 by a native of Champagne, Hugues de Payns, in
order to protect pilgrims in the Holy Land. Remains of the Templar period
include the 12th century Roman-Gothic chapel with its magnificent
roof structure, along with the cistern. After the Templars
were arrested and put on trial, their properties passed to the Knights of St
John of Jerusalem (the Hospitallers, who had become the Order of Malta). Monks
occupied the site from 1167 to 1790, the date when the last commander left. Since
then it has been owned by the town of Bar sur Seine.
Tours of the Commanderie are
organised by the tourist information office and on request.